[GNC] Reconcile also opens Interest Payment box?

Alan A Holmes gnucash at alanaholmes.me.uk
Wed Jul 15 02:18:33 EDT 2020

Windows 10, GnuCash 3.11

I've been using GnuCash since the start of 2019.

I had/have a gripe with the Interest Payment pop-up. I've learnt to live
with it, but it is a slight annoyance.

I first came across the Interest Payment window quite accidentally. I was
reconciling one of my accounts, I needed to change the reconcile date to
match the statement date, clicked the down arrow to get the date  pop-up,
and chose the required date which was in the bottom left hand corner of the
Statement Date pop-up. I then needed to enter the Ending Balance so clicked
outside the date pop-up to clear that, but in doing so accidentally clicked
the "Enter Interest Payment ..." button. Realising what I'd done I closed
the Interest Payment pop-up, entered my Ending Balance, and continued
reconciling.

The next time I came to reconcile that account the Interest Payment pop-up
appeared automatically, slightly confusing but thought I'd caught the "Enter
Interest Payment ..." button again. I closed the pop-up and completed my
reconcile. The next time I reconciled it appeared again, and I knew I'd not
caught the button. Saw the "No Automatic Interest Payment for this Account"
button clicked it and continued. The next time I reconciled it didn't appear
and then the penny dropped.

It had been annoying because the Interest Payment pop-up only appeared on
one account, not all the accounts I reconcile, so I thought I'd set up
something wrong. It's the fact that after it's been requested manually once
the Interest Payment pop-up then appears automatically until it's manually
switched off.

I'd like a preference somewhere to activate/inactivate the Interest Payment
pop-up appearing automatically on an account by account basis. I'd like the
"Enter Interest Payment ..." button to remain as I have used it a couple of
times, but that when it has been used it won't then mean it appears
automatically the next time, which would remove the need for the "No
Automatic Interest Payment" button.

Just my two penny worth.

Alan A Holmes