[GNC] Regarding a issue with GNUcash

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Jul 17 03:27:12 EDT 2020

Hi,

welcome to the list.

On Friday, 17 July 2020 04:40:12 BST Dhanadhya Group wrote:
> Hello,
> I am quite new to the mailing list and don't know how to operate, even
> after reading the Getting Help & Mailing List pages of GNU cash. If this is
> not the correct way to request a solution regarding issues please let me
> know here.

This is the correct place.

> Query: I just switched from Windows 10 to PureOS. In a hurry, I took the
> latest .gnucash and .log file with me. After installing GNU cash in PureOS,
> I pasted that file into the account I created. Fortunately, all worked out
> and I got my data back. But when I enter any entry into any accounts, GNU
> cash automatically creates another entry reverting the account balance to
> the previous stage. So two entries are created by creating one, which
> results in 0 change. Deleting any one entry, deletes another one also. I am
> confused about what to do. Please assist me.

it sounds to me that you are not entering the transaction properly, you need
to specify a transfer account.

If you are in a (bank or credit card) account register, and you wist the
record a purchase, you should have a transfer account of "Expenses:something"

Equally, if you are entering the transaction in an Expense register, the
transfer account should be a Bank or Credit Card account.

Hope that helps,
Maf.