[GNC] Command Line Report Options

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Jul 18 09:27:00 EDT 2020

On 7/17/2020 10:50 PM, Robin Chattopadhyay wrote:
> In the release notes and the help page, the documentation lists
> 'export-type' as an option and the example cites html as an export type
> option. Are there any other supported options? I tried 'pdf' and 'PDF' and
> neither of those worked.

You are confusing file extension with data conversion to match that file
extension. Gnucash is not incorporating that data conversion so it can't
do what you appear to be asking for.

BUT --- if you are working from the command line in some "shell" you
should be able to restructure that command so that the output from
gnucash would then be passed as input to an "X to pdf" utility and then
the output of that would be what you want. Since you are referring to
Windows, this might not be obvious to you but should be to those using
a  'nix operating system.

Please note that this is more or less a "philosophical" difference.  The
concept of the 'nix shells is that they would have available to them a
library of useful utilities, each doing one small thing very well, that
could be chained together in this way. As opposed to bloating every
application with everything it might possibly need (and so multiple
copies of those things). Remember the history (how old the 'nix
operating systems are and how much smaller our computer memories once
were).

Sorry, but I do not know what the Windows "shell" language might be or
what utilities might be available to it.

Michael D Novack