[GNC] Budget Calculations

Jon Griffith jon at jongriffith.com
Mon Jul 20 17:31:04 EDT 2020

Got it.  I will test it out and see if I can't figure it out.

If you were to modify the parent account manually, would you permanently
break its ability to calculate the child accounts?  Seems parent accounts
should be locked so you can't manipulate them.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 1:51 PM Adrien Monteleone <
adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> I'm not 100% clear on what you are trying to change, but here's how the
> Budget Module works:
>
> You can set child amounts. Those will automatically roll up to the parent.
>
> If you set anything at all for the parent, even 0.00, then that is what
> you will get. It then ignores the child accounts as least as far as the
> parent is concerned.
>
> This allows you to budget a different amount for the parent than the sum
> of its children.
>
> But in both cases, any amount entered should be reflected in the totals
> in the summary section. If not, (and I'm understanding you correctly)
> you've found a bug, please report it on Bugzilla.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> On 7/20/20 2:01 PM, Jon Griffith wrote:
> > Trying to wrap my head around something.
> >
> > The totals calculated on top level accounts are a cumulative sum of it's
> > sub accounts *and* any transactions *in* the top level account, assuming
> it
> > can have transactions.
> >
> > There are instances where if I manually change a budget amount, it does
> not
> > affect any of the balances of it's parent account nor the totals at the
> > bottom.  Is this a bug, or intended behavior?

[image: photo]
*Jon Griffith*
REALTOR®, HomeSmart

480-463-4062 | jon at jongriffith.com