[GNC] Accounting for Non-profits

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 24 12:23:24 EDT 2020

On 2020-07-24 03:05, Fiona MacKinnon wrote:
>    Hi folks,
>    I am treasurer of a not-for-profit organisation and unable to figure
>    out how to configure GnuCash for basic income/expenditure accounting
>    purposes eg journal, cash book, petty cash, bank reconciliation,
>    reports etc.
>
>    Neither the 'personal' or 'business' options seem to be entirely
>    appropriate with one looking a bit too basic and the other too
>    advanced, and both containing unnecessary elements!
>
>    It would be much appreciated if someone could advise regarding a
>    possible work around as I am otherwise familiar with the traditional
>    method of bookkeeping used in GnuCash and it is ideal for my needs.

Hi, Fiona, and welcome to GnuCash.

It sounds like you're under the impression that you must use either the
supplied business chart of accounts or the supplied personal one. Not at
all!

If either of them seems fairly close to what you need, it might save you
some time to stat with that one and then add and delete accounts to make
it match your chart of accounts, but that's not a requirement.

You can also start with a completely blank file (created by default) and
then just add in your accounts manually. That seemed faster in my
situation, instead of editing most of the supplied accounts.

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com
https://OakRoadSystems.com