[GNC] Accounting for Non-profits

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Fri Jul 24 16:36:16 EDT 2020

> You can also start with a completely blank file (created by default) and
> then just add in your accounts manually. That seemed faster in my
> situation, instead of editing most of the supplied accounts.

I have ALWAYS done it that way. The CoA of a non-profit organization
bears little resemblance to a personal set of books. And not a lot to a
business set of books.

You will also have to decide about "petty cash". If this is VERY active,
you might prefer doing the accounting for that in a separate set of
books the way done in the old pen and ink on paper days << businesses
can do that too >> Subsidiary books for things like this, sales, etc.
mainly useful when other people might be doing this work, lightening the
load on the treasurer (who alone can access the main books). People who
learned in the old days will know how totals from subsidiary books get
entered in the main books.

The sort of non-profit has not been specified and issues are different.
Membership type orgs might even want to get entangled with "business
features" even though the organization is "cash basis" in order to be
able to produce "member statements" (even though legally dues owed are
NOT "receivable").

Michael

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.