[GNC] BotanyBayGardens nonprofit example, and why GnuCash does not suffice

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jul 26 11:39:17 EDT 2020

> On Jul 25, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Liz Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 15:04:22 -0500
> "will at theprescotts.com" <will at theprescotts.com> wrote:
>
>> Your suggestion about a second person to handle the cash is a good
>> idea. One of my longstanding complaints has been that no one ever
>> looks at any of the finances except me. We are a group of about 300
>> members with maybe 20 that take an active role in the organization.
>> There is too much to do and no one wants to spend energy on something
>> that isn't broken.
>>
>> As far as checks go, no one uses them in Mexico. No one writes them
>> and no one will cash them. Bank transfers serve the same purpose.
>>
>> Will
>
> Lots of the world no longer uses cheques (or checks). The latest
> improvement here is that I can instantly receive money sent to me,
> identified by an email address or phone number which I have registered.

Did nobody read the footnote? The book was published in 1985, long before electronic payments became widely available. No doubt the 2020 edition would say something like "independently documented transfer" with a mention somewhere that that used to mean a check but now covers a variety of payment methods.

Incidentally, the textbook also says that checks should ideally require two signatures. I don't know how to impose that control over electronic transfers but the local newspaper reports two or three cases of embezzlement a year where it's obvious that a two-person control would have prevented the crime.

Regards,
John Ralls