[GNC] BotanyBayGardens nonprofit example, and why GnuCash does not suffice

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Mon Jul 27 03:40:52 EDT 2020

Don,

One of the reasons I started using GnuCash was to prepare assignments while doing a Master's in accounting 10 years ago.
It's value then and now was it could be adapted fairly easily to a variety of needs and the transition to it from
traditional accounting theory and T accounts was pretty smooth. While it didn't handle Cost Management Accounting or
Inventory or Payroll within GnuCash, I was able to get through that using a combination of spreadsheets for calculations
and transferring the results. OK for the toy exercises in a course program but possibly not so good for an operating
business with serious needs in these areas and much greater volume. I do agree a proper formal Cash Flow Statement would
be nice in the reports section.

David Cousens

Dr David R Cousens
B.Sc, M.Prof. Acc., Ph.D., G.C.Ed