[GNC] BotanyBayGardens nonprofit example, and why GnuCash does not suffice

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Jul 27 14:50:56 EDT 2020

1. Job Costing

While not 'out of the box and in your face obvious' I think GnuCash can
handle 'Job Costing' at least at a rudimentary level now. This sounds
like a more specific request of the generic 'classes/categories' RFE
that pops up frequently. (another is for revenue/profit centers used by
managerial accounting)

I agree that advice to use the account hierarchy to do this only works
for the simplest use cases, but otherwise turns into quite a mess.

User specified 'tags' are the ticket.

For cleanliness and sanity, these should probably be placed in the Notes
and/or Memo fields and a standardized representation decided on by the
user. (such as a preface of '#', '@', brackets, parenthesis, etc.)

The downside is GnuCash will not keep a list of these tags. That would
have to be maintained separately as exact spelling makes reporting
easier.(though some crafty regex can help)

Reporting is facilitated by using the Transaction Filter option on the
tag text. Unfortunately the P&L/Income Statement Report and Balance
Sheet Report, do not contain this option. The Transaction Report does,
but massaging that into one of the other forms would still require
spreadsheet editing.

So to achieve 'job costing' in the short term would require adding the
Transaction Filter (and regex option if possible) to at least the P&L
and/or Balance Sheet, but it should probably belong on several others as
well.

Then a good wiki page can educate with screenshots and examples on how
to accomplish the task.

If a tagging facility were officially added, this would be another piece
of the puzzle. (I think it is already a filed RFE) But that might have
to wait till GnuCash is a proper db-based app.

-----
2. Statement of Cash Flows

I don't recall if this was heavily discussed in a thread or bug report
(I think a bug report, maybe both) but I recall looking over this last
year when trying to help a user with the current Cash Flow report.

Indeed it isn't anything at all like a 'Statement of Cash Flows'.

I theorized that it *might* be possible to get close if the Options >
Accounts section were divided into 3, one for each of the three parts of
the standard report form. John noted it is too difficult for GnuCash to
know what accounts belong in each section, so like with other such
questions for other reports (even this one as it is now), let the user
select them.

The report code would then have to be altered to run through the
selected accounts, subtotal and display for each of the three sections
of the report.

I think it is doable in concept, but I don't know overall how tedious
that might be to implement. I don't speak Scheme, but I suppose it is
time to learn. Christopher might be able to advise more concretely where
the difficulties lay.

In any case, the current report is misnamed if not a bit confusing to
users looking for a 'Statement of Cash Flows', and this has been
discussed in at least one bug report, but I don't think a suitable
alternative has been agreed upon.

Regards,
Adrien