[GNC] Can't find file

will at theprescotts.com will at theprescotts.com
Thu Jul 30 12:38:50 EDT 2020

Michael,

Thank you for your message. I didn't have the problem that Dan had. I am well aware of where the .gnucash file is stored. But I use two different Gnucash files and am always switching between them. I have always used the Open... menu item, then navigated to the correct file. Until I saw your comment, I never noticed that there was a list of recently opened files that I could use. This will be a great convenience for me from now on.

On that topic, if I someone asked me what one change I would like to Gnucash, my choice would be the ability to open two different files in different windows at the same time.

Will

On 2020 Jul 30, at 07-30 10:06:04, Michael or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at comcast.net> wrote:

On 7/29/2020 8:04 AM, Dan Bilich wrote:
> Been using Gnucash for years. Tried to open today and got the message that it couldn’t find the file and it opened to a new, blank slate. What do I do to recover?

Do you know the name of your data file? If you don't know the name/path, do you at least know the file extension (if it has one; most likely .gnucash). Do you know how to use the "search for file" tool(s) of the operating system you are using?

Once you know the name of the file, when gnucash opens with this new. blank slate, use File => open, navigate to your data file (you know its name/path now) and select it. NOW after you have closed down gnucash, it will be at the top of the "most recently opened list" and you next time should open with it.

Michael D Novack