[GNC] How to track part of the total available assets spanning several accounts?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Jun 1 01:08:14 EDT 2020

As David noted, this sounds like a budgeting question.

GnuCash has a budget module, and it may serve your needs.

If you still really want to track total funds available for certain purposes, you could employ special accounts like your Equity example.

Accounts in GnuCash generally are to model the real world. But you can also create virtual accounts for your own purposes.

The structure of Assets you gave an example of has all real-world accounts.

You could create something like this:

Equity
-Budgeting
  Operational
  Surplus

Now, each time you make a transaction involving the real-world asset accounts that hold your funds, you make either extra budgeting transactions, or extra splits for budgeting, keeping everything together.

If you add money to a real-world account, you’ll also do the following:

Dr. Equity:Budgeting
Cr. Equity:Budgeting:Operational

When you spend money out of those real-world accounts, you’ll enter the reverse:

Dr. Equity:Budgeting:Operational
Cr. Equity:Budgeting

Periodically, run a P&L (Income Statement) to see how much net profit you have for deciding how much to add to Surplus, then enter this:

Dr. Equity:Budgeting:Operational
Cr. Equity:Budgeting:Surplus

(If I’m understanding correctly how you are moving funds around)

With this method, Equity never changes because the Budgeting sub-accounts balance out the parent Budgeting account.

You also never affect your real-world transactions as they still contain the splits they would have otherwise. You’re just making extra transactions for budgeting purposes.

Note too, you don’t have to close report tabs. You can keep a P&L tab open at all times, and simply refresh as needed.

If you want to make regular adjustments to Surplus, you can create a Scheduled Transaction that does so, but instead of an amount, use a variable. When the transaction fires, it will ask you for the value of the variable. So you might set the variable to be ’net_profit’ and the transaction might be ’net_profit*0.20’. When the transaction fires, you enter the Net Profit from your P&L, and the transaction will be entered as 20% of that amount.

Regards,
Adrien