[GNC] Tracking a health reimbursement arrangement

Duncan Johnson dtk.johnson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 16:56:13 EDT 2020

Hello,

I am new to this list. I have not quite seen an answer to my scenario in
the archives that I've seen online, so thought I'd join the list and ask.

I'm in the USA, and my employer offers a Dental/Vision health reimbursement
account. Each year, the employer will reimburse up to $200 for each person
in my family to use for dental/vision. When I use the benefit, I put the
charge on a credit card, then submit a reimbursement form, and then the
company writes me a check.

Right now, I'm just using an A/R account to basically zero-out the
difference between the credit card charges and the deposits of the
reimbursement checks. The benefit of doing it this way is that it doesn't
show up on my monthly income statement as an expense that corresponds to
some income. Details below:

First, my account structure:

Assets:Checking
Liabilities:Credit Card
Assets:Receivable:Health Reimbursement Arrangement

Transactions:

Medical appointment:
Debit ->  Liabilities:Credit Card
Credit -> Assets:Receivable:Health Reimbursement Arrangement

Reimbursement:
Credit -> Assets:Checking
Debit -> Assets:Receivable:Health Reimbursement Arrangement

What I'd like to do, though, is figure out a way to track how much is left
for each person in the family.

The fiscal year for this HRA begins on July 1, so theoretically I'd like to
be able to post an "employer contribution" on July 1 and then have these
sorts of expenses debit away that amount. If I ever fail to totally use up
my allowance in a year, I guess I'd just make a write-off expense account
or something.

But I can't figure out where to create an account for tracking the unspent
money in the HRA.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Duncan