[GNC] Upgrade from 2.6 to 4.0 (was: Default View: Tip)

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Jun 11 04:51:02 EDT 2020

Op donderdag 11 juni 2020 06:27:39 CEST schreef Stan Brown:
> Can I suggest some indication of why one might want to use the Notes
> field? Until this thread I didn't even know it existed. (And I'm still
> on 2.6.19 also. I figure I'll upgrade directly to 4.0.)

I'll reply to your side remark here of wanting to upgrade from 2.6.19 to 4.0.
We actually recommend not skipping major releases. So if you want to upgrade from 2.6 to 4.0
you're advised to first upgrade to 3.11 (which will be the last release of the 3.x series). You're
welcome to jump to 4.0 straight on from there.
The reason is we reserve a major release jump for (meta)data format upgrades. But these
upgrades are only tested thoroughly when coming from the previous stable series. If you skip a
stable series the code has moved on and perhaps newer changes may have introduced
regressions in older migrations that are no longer tested.
And for full disclosure we sometimes even actively remove migration actions when older than 2
major series. So a jump from 2.4 to 4.0 may not even be possible any more. The motivation for
this is simply balancing maintenance burden against available developer time.

Regards,

Geert