[GNC] Default View: Menu entry and tooltip

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 15:02:45 EDT 2020

Am 11.06.20 um 20:27 schrieb Adrien Monteleone:

>> On Jun 11, 2020 w24d163, at 1:07 PM, Frank H. Ellenberger <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Am 11.06.20 um 19:19 schrieb Adrien Monteleone:
>>> I’m not seeing any tooltip for Double Line mode. I don’t see them for any menu entries, just for buttons on the toolbar.
>>
>> OK, it is no real tooltip, it is displayed in the status bar.
>> From https://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-help/windows.html#Main-window:
>> Statusbar
>>    Gives a description of the active menu item and shows a progress bar
>
> Yep, I was composing a reply on this and just missed this. Note, my Statusbar isn’t showing this for some reason. I can’t seem to create a condition when viewing a register where a field in a transaction is not in focus. Therefore the info I see in that bar, doesn’t change and is the info tip for that field.

Perhaps you create a separate thread for this issue, reporting your
OS/Desktop environment and gnucash version, and ask for the experience
of others.

>>> But I suggest to change the menu entry. I think of tool tips as extra info that is difficult to convey in one or three words that are in a GUI element. But if the words can be changed to be more descriptive, I’d think that the better approach.
>>
>> For now I have changed the description to:
>> Show a second line with "Action", "Notes", and "File Association" for
>> each transaction.
>>
>> I think ’Show Notes’ does not cover the other fields.
>
> I agree. I forgot about File Associations.
>
> But here’s a problem - the Action field is displayed in that line for Basic View, but for each split in Auto-Split or Transaction Journal views. (maybe that is what the ‘expanded transaction’ reference was for - but only for the Action field)
>
> In Basic View, you can edit this Action field, but in the other two views, you have to edit them in each split. If in Auto-Split view, that field is visible, but it is display only.

Right,
... and if you enable "File properties [ aka Book
options]->Accounts->Use Split Action Field for Number" you will get
T-Num (Transaction number)

My suggestion now:
Show a second line with "Notes", "File Association", and configuration
dependent fields for each transaction.

Is anybody volunteering to create the full table of all combinations for
help?

> Regards,
> Adrien
Regards