[GNC] Default View: Menu entry and tooltip

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Jun 11 14:27:01 EDT 2020

> On Jun 11, 2020 w24d163, at 1:07 PM, Frank H. Ellenberger <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Am 11.06.20 um 19:19 schrieb Adrien Monteleone:
>> I’m not seeing any tooltip for Double Line mode. I don’t see them for any menu entries, just for buttons on the toolbar.
>
> OK, it is no real tooltip, it is displayed in the status bar.
> From https://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-help/windows.html#Main-window:
> Statusbar
>    Gives a description of the active menu item and shows a progress bar

Yep, I was composing a reply on this and just missed this. Note, my Statusbar isn’t showing this for some reason. I can’t seem to create a condition when viewing a register where a field in a transaction is not in focus. Therefore the info I see in that bar, doesn’t change and is the info tip for that field.

>> But I suggest to change the menu entry. I think of tool tips as extra info that is difficult to convey in one or three words that are in a GUI element. But if the words can be changed to be more descriptive, I’d think that the better approach.
>
> For now I have changed the description to:
> Show a second line with "Action", "Notes", and "File Association" for
> each transaction.
>
> I think ’Show Notes’ does not cover the other fields.

I agree. I forgot about File Associations.

But here’s a problem - the Action field is displayed in that line for Basic View, but for each split in Auto-Split or Transaction Journal views. (maybe that is what the ‘expanded transaction’ reference was for - but only for the Action field)

In Basic View, you can edit this Action field, but in the other two views, you have to edit them in each split. If in Auto-Split view, that field is visible, but it is display only.

Regards,
Adrien