[GNC] export accounts, import accounts

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sat Jun 13 03:31:44 EDT 2020

Robert,

You have two choices both accessible under File->Export. File->Export->Export Account Tree to CSV will export the
account tree as a CSV file which can be imported into a new datafile with File->Import->Import Accounts from CSV by
pointing the dialog to the exported file.

The other method File->Export->Export Accounts exports the account tree as a gnucash XML data file with the name you
give it in the dialog and an extension ".gnucash". To import it you use File->Open and point it at the exportd XML file.
This will create a blank book with the account structure you had in the file you exported it from.  It you are using a
database backend then you would save the file in the backend format of your choice after opening it..  It is usually a
good idea if you are creating a new file to copy it to its own directory before opening it so its backup and log files
are kept separate from those of any previous datafile.  I'm not sure how the account export affects the book options in
this case but I suspect they will be the same as the original.

David Cousens

--
Dr David R Cousens
B.Sc, M.Prof. Acc., Ph.D., G.C.Ed