[GNC] file storage location

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Jun 15 11:52:45 EDT 2020

On 6/15/2020 11:07 AM, Jamie Tolbert wrote:
> new user here, seems like all the files are in my document storage
> folder, I'd like to move them to their own separate folder, is that
> possible?

In a way, that you say you have this problem, implies that you are not
yet comfortable with using your OS. In other words, ignore for a moment
that you are asking about your gnucash data. How about all your
documents? Do you just have them all in a "heap" in your documents
folder? How do you find them? Assuming you have documents of six basic
types (plus miscellaneous ones) have you not created seven sub folders
within the documents folder for them to be in?. Then when looking for a
document of type X you look for it in the Xdocuments folder.  I just
took a look, and in our case, 47 at the top level, with many of these
having sub folders under them.

The point I am making is the fact that upon becoming a gnucash user you
did not immediately create a sub folder for gnucash data is a SYMPTOM of
the more general problem.

Michael D Novack