[GNC] Trouble opening ancient files

Thomas Klausner tk at giga.or.at
Tue Jun 16 13:50:00 EDT 2020

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:22:33AM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> This looks like it might be a GnuCash 1.2 or 1.4 binary datafile.  The
> ability to read those old binary files was removed more than a decade ago.
>
> You'll need to import that using something probably as old (new?) as 1.6
> in order to convert it to XML, but you'll probably need a very old OS in
> order to build it.

Ok, I didn't find such an old binary.

Does anyone still have such a binary running, or a Windows 2.0.x exe somewhere?

> [snip]
> > Any suggestions on how to get versions of these files that could be
> > opened by gnucash 3.10?
>
> These later XML files are also relatively old.  My guess, you'll
> probably need to start with 1.6 (or maybe even 1.4 for the binary data)
> and then keep on doing File -> Open /  File -> Save As to translate the
> data files from version to version:
>
> 1.4 -> 1.6 -> 1.8 (was there a 1.8?  I don't recall) -> 2.0 -> 2.2 ->
> 2.4 -> 2.6 -> 3.x
>
> Expect this to take a while.

Actually, this quite a bit easier than I expected. I downloaded the
Windows 2.2.9 binary and opened the newer file and saved it, then 3.10
could open it successfully. :)

Can you please fix this warning:

"This file/URL appears to be from a newer version of GnuCash. You must upgrade your version of GnuCash to work with this data."

that appeared for this file?

Thanks,
 Thomas