[GNC] Get quotes problem with testing version 3.905

Chris Good goodchris96 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 21:09:43 EDT 2020

Message: 8
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 08:53:24 +0930
From: John Bonnett <jbonnett at internode.on.net>
To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] Get quotes problem with testing version 3.905

Here is my previous email with the graphics replaced by some relevant text.
> I installed v3.905 to help with testing. I have a problem with getting
> online quotes which worked fine with the latest release version.
> Everything else has been OK so far.
>
> I get this message now:

ERROR:: ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY must be set for currency and quotes; see
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes#Source_Alphavantage.2C_US

> Although that URL provides lots of good information, none of my active
> stocks, for which I am trying to get online quotes, are using
> Alphavantage. I do have some inactive/obsolete stocks which are
> defaulting to Alphavantage. Most of my active stocks are from the
> Australian exchange ASX. I have one on NASDAQ for which I am using
> Yahoo-json but that does not seem to work and did not on the release
> version either. Here are the versions in my About dialog:

Version 3.905

Build ID: 3.905+(2020-06-14)

Finance::Quote: 1.47

> Should I try to remove all reference to Alphavantage from even
> inactive stocks?
>
> John Bonnett

Hi John,

If you haven't got a free Alpha Vantage API key and do have stocks that need
it, you either need to get an API key or untick 'Get Quotes' in the security
editor for those stocks using source alphavantage.
If you have accounts using multiple currencies, then you also need to untick
'Get Quotes' in the security editor for all the currencies if you don't want
exchange rates to be downloaded.

3.905 now gives you an error message rather that failing with an obscure
error msg.

See https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes#Source_Alphavantage.2C_US

Regards, Chris Good