[GNC] Get quotes problem with testing version 3.905

John Bonnett jbonnett at internode.on.net
Fri Jun 19 18:31:51 EDT 2020

On 17/06/2020 10:39 am, Chris Good wrote:
> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 08:53:24 +0930
> From: John Bonnett <jbonnett at internode.on.net>
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Subject: Re: [GNC] Get quotes problem with testing version 3.905
>
> Here is my previous email with the graphics replaced by some relevant text.
>> I installed v3.905 to help with testing. I have a problem with getting
>> online quotes which worked fine with the latest release version.
>> Everything else has been OK so far.
>>
>> I get this message now:
>>
> ERROR:: ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY must be set for currency and quotes; see
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes#Source_Alphavantage.2C_US
>> Although that URL provides lots of good information, none of my active
>> stocks, for which I am trying to get online quotes, are using
>> Alphavantage. I do have some inactive/obsolete stocks which are
>> defaulting to Alphavantage. Most of my active stocks are from the
>> Australian exchange ASX. I have one on NASDAQ for which I am using
>> Yahoo-json but that does not seem to work and did not on the release
>> version either. Here are the versions in my About dialog:
>>
> Version 3.905
>
> Build ID: 3.905+(2020-06-14)
>
> Finance::Quote: 1.47
>
>> Should I try to remove all reference to Alphavantage from even
>> inactive stocks?
>>
>> John Bonnett
>>
> Hi John,
>
> If you haven't got a free Alpha Vantage API key and do have stocks that need
> it, you either need to get an API key or untick 'Get Quotes' in the security
> editor for those stocks using source alphavantage.
> If you have accounts using multiple currencies, then you also need to untick
> 'Get Quotes' in the security editor for all the currencies if you don't want
> exchange rates to be downloaded.
>
> 3.905 now gives you an error message rather that failing with an obscure
> error msg.
>
> See https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes#Source_Alphavantage.2C_US
>
> Regards, Chris Good

Hi Chris,

I had noticed those obscure error messages you mention. I have resolved
my problem and it was that I had a currency, which I don't remember ever
adding. I actually found out about it by examining my data as
uncompressed XML and searching for <quote_source>. I then discovered I
had to check a box in the security editor to see it in the GUI. I
unchecked 'Get Quotes' for it and now the only messages I get are
expected ones.

Thanks for you help.

John Bonnett