[GNC] Disappearing entries

Carl Look at iPadRing.net
Thu Jun 18 11:48:33 EDT 2020

   From: Derek Atkins [[1]mailto:derek at ihtfp.com]
   Subject: [GNC] Disappearing entries
   Date: Thursday, June 18, 2020, 11:27 AM
   To: Carl
   Cc: [2]gnucash-user at gnucash.org

Hi,

Carl [3]<Look at iPadRing.net> writes:

Okay, so you're on current GnuCash on Linux.  Good.

3) How do you open GnuCash and/or the GnuCash data file?

   I click on a shortcut link on my desktop

What, exactly, is the shortcut running?  What is the embedded "commandline"?
Is it a link to a file or the app directly?
(I'm just wondering if, by chance, you're opening a backup file).

   Here's the command that's used-     gnucash %f

4) How are you shutting down GnuCash?

   I click "Save"....if not previously saved and then click the X in the
   top left of the GC screen

Okay, just making sure you don't shutdown the computer with GnuCash
still running.

   5) What backend storage method are you using?

   Don't know exactly what that means?  Maybe it means where and how is
   the gc work file stored?  It's local.

The question is more, is it XML or SQL?  Both could be local.
If you run "file /path/to/your/datafile.gnucash" what does it say?
If it says 'gzip' then it's XML.

   I assume it's xml as when in GC I used File---->Save as-----> and the
   format it presented was xml

   Below is the name of my GC file (regardless of the name of the file
   below the date and time stamp on the file.....on the far right of the
   file manager...is current for when I last used the file- June 17 2020
   at 7 PM
   GC January 12 2019.gnucash.20190518080326.gnucash

6) Are you SURE that you're not somehow modifying a reconciled transaction
from the other side?

   Yes, very sure.

GnuCash is very unlikely to have lost your data.  When these kinds of
errors occur, they are ostensibly an PEBKAC issue, either a view that
hides the data, a non-default sort that makes data look wrong, opening a
backup file instead of the main data file, etc.

   Thanks,

   Carl