[GNC] Disappearing entries

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Jun 18 11:27:05 EDT 2020

Hi,

Carl <Look at iPadRing.net> writes:

Okay, so you're on current GnuCash on Linux.  Good.

> 3) How do you open GnuCash and/or the GnuCash data file?
>
>    I click on a shortcut link on my desktop

What, exactly, is the shortcut running?  What is the embedded "commandline"?
Is it a link to a file or the app directly?
(I'm just wondering if, by chance, you're opening a backup file).

> 4) How are you shutting down GnuCash?
>
>    I click "Save"....if not previously saved and then click the X in the
>    top left of the GC screen

Okay, just making sure you don't shutdown the computer with GnuCash
still running.

>    5) What backend storage method are you using?
>
>    Don't know exactly what that means?  Maybe it means where and how is
>    the gc work file stored?  It's local.

The question is more, is it XML or SQL?  Both could be local.
If you run "file /path/to/your/datafile.gnucash" what does it say?
If it says 'gzip' then it's XML.

> 6) Are you SURE that you're not somehow modifying a reconciled transaction
> from the other side?
>
>    Yes, very sure.

GnuCash is very unlikely to have lost your data.  When these kinds of
errors occur, they are ostensibly an PEBKAC issue, either a view that
hides the data, a non-default sort that makes data look wrong, opening a
backup file instead of the main data file, etc.

>    Thanks,
>
>    Carl

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745