[GNC] Cursor Focus on Wrong Tab

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 19 11:30:34 EDT 2020

Hello,

I swear I reported troubles with this a long time ago, and I could have
sworn I added a bug about it. My recollection was that I was the only
person who could duplicate the issue, and so it never went anywhere
further. However, I find no evidence on Bugzilla or in the lists. Alas.
My search skills are clearly lacking.

The issue is this: when I am in Tab "H" and duplicate a transaction by
clicking the toolbar Duplicate button, once I have concluded the process
by selecting a new date and pressing Enter, my cursor appears to be in
tab "H", but is actually on Tab "B" (which is the first register
account, after the COA). If I attempt to edit the transaction at this
point, the transaction that receives input is NOT the visible
transaction in tab H, but rather the hidden transaction on tab B.

In the attached image, "Base Salary" is the aforementioned tab H, in
which I have just created a new transaction by clicking the Duplicate
button, choosing today's date and pressing Enter, which has created the
06/19/2020 transaction that is visible on screen.

If you look down where the big arrow is pointing, however, you will see
"66.59" clearly displayed. "66.59" is actually the value of a
transaction in ****the Checking register****. If I start typing, the
transaction that receives input *is in the Checking register and NOT the
visible transaction in the Base Salary register.* I have to remember to
use the mouse to actively click in the on screen transaction in order to
"select" the transaction I just created on the currently-visible
register and which appears to currently have focus.

To say this is confusing is an understatement--and it only gets worse if
I start typing, fail to see any change, and then remember to click the
current register. Now, the visible register gets focus--and the hidden
register (which has changes I unwittingly have made) gets a commit.
Obviously, this can have significant negative effects: the transaction I
blindly edited has changed and been saved. Maybe that transaction is now
unreconciled. Maybe I put gibberish into the description. Maybe I put
gibberish into the transfer account, and GnuCash will send me a
mysterious message that the account doesn't exist, would I like to
create it. Maybe I have changed the amount on that transaction.

I hope that this email provides enough information that others can now
see the problem that I have seen for a long time; if others can
duplicate this, I'll enter a bug report.

David T.