[GNC] Cursor Focus on Wrong Tab

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 15:00:49 EDT 2020

I suspect that there are actually other instances in the code where
pointers get out of sync, and I am sure that it is incredibly difficult to
test every case, especially in the existing code.  Hopefully, in release
4.0 it will start to get easier to test these things.

One tool that I use for a different circumstance where the working focus is
not visible on the screen is to hit the Tab key, which usually causes the
current window to show the location of the curser.  That does not address
the underlying issues.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 10:32 AM David T. via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I swear I reported troubles with this a long time ago, and I could have
> sworn I added a bug about it. My recollection was that I was the only
> person who could duplicate the issue, and so it never went anywhere
> further. However, I find no evidence on Bugzilla or in the lists. Alas.
> My search skills are clearly lacking.
>
> The issue is this: when I am in Tab "H" and duplicate a transaction by
> clicking the toolbar Duplicate button, once I have concluded the process
> by selecting a new date and pressing Enter, my cursor appears to be in
> tab "H", but is actually on Tab "B" (which is the first register
> account, after the COA). If I attempt to edit the transaction at this
> point, the transaction that receives input is NOT the visible
> transaction in tab H, but rather the hidden transaction on tab B.
>
> In the attached image, "Base Salary" is the aforementioned tab H, in
> which I have just created a new transaction by clicking the Duplicate
> button, choosing today's date and pressing Enter, which has created the
> 06/19/2020 transaction that is visible on screen.
>
> If you look down where the big arrow is pointing, however, you will see
> "66.59" clearly displayed. "66.59" is actually the value of a
> transaction in ****the Checking register****. If I start typing, the
> transaction that receives input *is in the Checking register and NOT the
> visible transaction in the Base Salary register.* I have to remember to
> use the mouse to actively click in the on screen transaction in order to
> "select" the transaction I just created on the currently-visible
> register and which appears to currently have focus.
>
> To say this is confusing is an understatement--and it only gets worse if
> I start typing, fail to see any change, and then remember to click the
> current register. Now, the visible register gets focus--and the hidden
> register (which has changes I unwittingly have made) gets a commit.
> Obviously, this can have significant negative effects: the transaction I
> blindly edited has changed and been saved. Maybe that transaction is now
> unreconciled. Maybe I put gibberish into the description. Maybe I put
> gibberish into the transfer account, and GnuCash will send me a
> mysterious message that the account doesn't exist, would I like to
> create it. Maybe I have changed the amount on that transaction.
>
> I hope that this email provides enough information that others can now
> see the problem that I have seen for a long time; if others can
> duplicate this, I'll enter a bug report.
>
> David T.

David Carlson