[GNC] QUESTION: transaction classes (tags) like QuickBooks?

Zi randomnote at protonmail.com
Sun Jun 21 15:18:25 EDT 2020

Hi

I've used QuickBooks for years and am seriously considering finding a (*non*web based) alternative. GnuCash looks very promising, but here's the million-dollar question (and yes, I browsed the whole site, the manual, the FAQ, etc. trying to find an answer to this question!)

In addition to the accounts and sub-accounts that inform reconciliation and P&L type reporting, is there a way to *class* transactions the way QuickBooks does? In other words, can one, while entering a transaction, enter something like the following:

(vendor) Local Electricity Provider
(amount) $ total amount of bill
(split line one account) "utilities" AND THEN
(*class*) address of investment property and unit #
(split $ amount for this property)
(split line two account) "utilities"
(*class*) address of *other* investment property and unit #
(split $ amount for *that* property)
etc.
thus allowing a property manager to show expenditures around *each particular* property.

OR for instance one travels sometimes, and needs to record the expenses.
Like, the appropriate transaction accounts for such would include "meals", "lodging", etc. and the CLASS for each could be "Las Vegas 2020", or "Phoenix 2019" thus giving one a way to show the expenditures for a *particular* trip.

If GnuCash provides this functionality, I will likely switch over to it! If, however, it does not, Intuit must, sadly, still win.

Thanks so much!

Sent from ProtonMail mobile