[GNC] QUESTION: transaction classes (tags) like QuickBooks?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Jun 22 11:50:54 EDT 2020

While there is no official ‘class’ or ’tag’ facility, you can still accomplish this somewhat.

You can do searches on any text located in any text field, Description, Memo, Notes, Action, Num, etc.

Thus you can create your own tagging system using # or @ if you like. (or any other symbol or even emoji as those are now supported)

Most reports have a Filter option where you can only report transactions that match (or exclude) the Filter text. Unfortunately, the report filtering only works for Description, Notes, and Memo fields.

Both Edit > Find & (report) Options > Filter allow regular expressions.

------

Concerning the ‘finding files’ threads, those all have been user issues. GnuCash hasn’t been eating data. (though you should always have a backup available for *any* important data for *any* app.)

I’ve been stepping through 3.0-3.10 and with the exception of a display discrepancy back at 3.1, I haven’t had any major issues. (plenty of small, minor bugs, but that is to be expected, and most of them were quickly fixed after reporting)

Of course, upgrade at your own pace. I believe the official policy is to support the current and most recent major version. So after 4.0 is out only the 3.x series will continue to be ’supported’ but I don’t think you’ll see any additional 3.x releases to fix bugs. The wiki has more info on this.

Regards,
Adrien