[GNC] How to install Gnucash 3.8 on Debian 10 "buster"?

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 15:47:56 EST 2020

On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 at 17:51, Peter Zimmerer <pkzw at web.de> wrote:

> The changes in Gnucash from version 3.7 to 3.8 and beyond are mainly
> covering changes because of regulatory changes of the European Union
> (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_Services_Directive), which
> is neither bug fixing nor new feature developement to me.

If it changes the way the s/w operates then that is a feature changed.
Some feature will be different after the update, therefore it is a
feature change.

> I would vote for GnuCash 3.8 or better the upcoming 3.9 version to be
> integrated into one of the next point releases of Debian Buster (10.4 or
> 10.5). Without that, the GnuCash version within the current Debian
> stable release will be largely useless for online banking within the
> European Union.

There is no point voting for it here.  The version packaged in Debian
is down to the Debian administrators and whoever packages it for
Debian.  But I can guarantee that you will not get the principles of
the Debian release policy changed just for Gnucash.

Colin