[GNC] grouping deposited items

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Mar 3 11:38:23 EST 2020

If your statement shows you total deposits and total withdrawals and you want to see if those two match, then the proper procedure is called ‘reconciliation’ and the documentation should cover this in some detail.

The basics are this:

1. Click the Reconcile button while viewing the account in question.
2. In the pop-up, set the statement date and the ending balance from the statement. (take not of opening balance, it should agree with the statement)
3. Check off each item in the deposit and the withdrawal columns that match individual transactions on your statement.
4. As you check items off, notice they are totaled under each column (what I think you are looking for)
5. When all items that match your statement have been checked off, the ‘Difference’ amount in the bottom right should be zero, which means you’ve successfully reconciled. You can then click the Finish button on the toolbar.

If the Difference is not zero, you either missed a transaction to check off, or there are one or more transactions missing that need to be entered and then checked off, or, your starting balance was off because of a previously unfinished reconciliation. (note that editing a transaction after reconciliation will un-reconcile it. When doing such an edit, simply go through reconciliation again, check the edited transaction(s) and click Finish)

It is probably best to start reconciliation from the oldest date in your GnuCash books and work forward in time, statement by statement till you are up to date.

Regards,
Adrien