[GNC] grouping deposited items

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Tue Mar 3 11:38:56 EST 2020

On 3/3/2020 10:17 AM, Ian D Henry wrote:
> I may have used the wrong search terms, but I can't find out if Gnucash has
> a way of grouping deposited items so they can be matched with the deposit
> amount on the bank statement.
>
> Ian

Model the deposit ticket. This was a touch more obvious for me since
very low volume meant usually several items to deposit before making a
trip to the bank. But you can do this even if depositing daily.

Create an account, undeposited cash << the money is technically yours
when the negotiable paper is received, not when you get around to
depositing it >> As items for deposit come in, enter them here. You can
think of this as the list of items on your deposit ticket. When you make
the deposit, you debit the bank account and credit undeposited cash for
the balance << no going back to zero; no undeposited items >>

When you get your bank statement, match deposits to the deposits in
undeposited cash, and the transaction above this (up to the previous
deposit) will be the individual items on that deposit.

Michael D Novack

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.