[GNC] GC 2.6.19 & GC 3.8

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 21:24:33 EST 2020

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 5:52 PM Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 4:20 PM Les <lelliott5 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> After using the 3.8 version on Linux Mint 19.1, I find that is much
>> faster than the 2.6.19 version.  I have one issue regarding the accounts
>> page, I entered an incorrect amount for a payment and then tried to
>> remove it (even deleting the line) but nothing worked.  I finally closed
>> GC without saving and reopened it and entered the correct information.
>>
>> Is this a known bug?
>>

> I have noticed this, too; I believe it's a screen refresh issue. I'm
> trying to replicate it on Ubuntu 19.10 and cannot, so I think it's an issue
> with a build based upon Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (which your Mint probably is).
> That's the version I use in my office.
>
> Here's what I have noticed -- I click on a transaction and choose Delete
> from the toolbar. A confirmation dialog pops up, and I agree that I want to
> delete, but the transaction does not disappear from the register. HOWEVER
> if I close and reopen the register, (or maybe if I choose View --> Refresh
> ?) the transaction is gone.
>
> I have noticed a few other display issues with GnuCash built for Ubuntu
> 18.04. The register colors are strange around the text, especially
> noticeably on the date field.

I feel compelled to update this a little bit -- As I said before, I think
things look different on my system now that I've installed dconf-editor on
my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic" system. I installed it so I could have a look
at the GTK+ inspector and its CSS features. I haven't adjusted any CSS, but
the application installation seems to have brought in a few other packages,
too.

Here's more about using the inspector:
https://blog.gtk.org/2017/04/05/the-gtk-inspector/

After installing dconf-editor, I have not been able to replicate the
deleted transaction refresh issue. Though maybe I just I haven't yet hit
the exact sequence that triggers it. You might try installing dconf-editor
and see if it improves it for you, too. I believe having it should
otherwise be benign.

ONE ADDITIONAL strange thing, however...

Sometimes I want to enter data from my laptop into a GnuCash file that's on
my office computer, so I open GnuCash using ssh:

$ ssh -X user at host gnucash /path/to/datafile.gnucash

I was surprised to see the GnuCash windows on my laptop (running Ubuntu
19.10) look good, even though the application is running from the desktop
system (running Ubuntu 18.04). I naively expected it to have the same
display issue around highlighted text. (Specifically: when text is being
edited, the text is surrounded by a rounded rectangle with a thin border
and a white background.)

SO I just spent (entirely too many) minutes testing some scenarios...

At this moment I am preparing a new CPU for my office running Ubuntu 18.04,
so I decided to try the same task connecting from a newly installed Ubuntu
18.04 client to the old Ubuntu 18.04 host.

Ubuntu 18.04 client, ordinary Ubuntu desktop: I found that the strange
coloration around highlighted fields is still present when the client is an
"ordinary" Ubuntu 18.04 desktop.

Ubuntu 18.04 client, running Wayland: The coloration has the same problem
as regular Ubuntu. (However the SSH windows are quite sluggish.)

Ubuntu 18.04 client, MATE desktop: The coloration around highlighted text
looks much better.

I just went back to the old desktop and opened the gnome-tweaks tool and
played with some themes... the default Ubuntu application theme is
"Ambiance," and I see the text edit problem with both Ambiance AND
Radiance, but the text looks more consistent when some of the other themes.
So there MIGHT be a weird Gnome theme issue with GnuCash built under Ubuntu
18.04. As I suggested, the default theme in Ubuntu MATE seems to work
better.

I think I've tinkered enough with this for now. Maybe someone who
understands Gnome themes better will suggest something easier to implement.

P.S.: The next Ubuntu LTS release is scheduled for April, so the updated
libraries should filter to distros like Mint by this summer sometime.

  -----