[GNC] hiding expense and income accounts with zero balances

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Mar 7 13:20:32 EST 2020

On 3/7/2020 11:13 AM, Ian D Henry wrote:
> I am very new to Gnucash and I have not been able to find answers to
> questions which I think possible ought to have easy answers.
>
> 1 Is there a way to suppress display of accounts with a zero balance in the
> Balance Sheet and Income Statement?
> 2  How do I display either statement with a specific end date?  For
> example, today is 7March and I want to provide reports as at 29February.
> The standard Income statement shows that it covers 1Jan20 to 30Jun20 and
> the Balance Sheet is at 30Jun20.  The accounting year is 1Jul19 to 30Jun20.

These two questions indicate a fundamental "new user" problem. A problem
that goes deeper than just these two questions.

For each gnucash report that you want to use, you should explore ALL of
the report options available to you. It is not just that under options
you will see THESE things that you want to change, but all sorts of
other things you can specify.

But there is some preliminary stuff you should know about the process.
When you tell gnucash to produce the report, it will do so with default
options. You then use Edit => Report Options to change the options that
you want for this running of the report. In other words, the report has
to exist before you choose options for it. A moment's thought should
explain why you don't pick options and then open the report << how would
gnucash know WHICH report you meant those options to apply to >>

Michael D Novack