[GNC] hiding expense and income accounts with zero balances

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Sat Mar 7 16:59:25 EST 2020

On 3/7/20 1:17 PM, David H wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Mar 2020 at 04:22, Michael or Penny Novack <
> stepbystepfarm at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> But there is some preliminary stuff you should know about the process.
>> When you tell gnucash to produce the report, it will do so with default
>> options. You then use Edit => Report Options to change the options that
>> you want for this running of the report. In other words, the report has
>> to exist before you choose options for it. A moment's thought should
>> explain why you don't pick options and then open the report << how would
>> gnucash know WHICH report you meant those options to apply to >>
>>
>> Michael D Novack
>>

> Michael,
>
> This has always seemed a bit arse about face to me.  In my simple world the
> report does exist as it's there in the menu items and I can select it and
> run it.  It's the report results that may or may not exist yet.  It would
> make a whole lot more sense for me personally to click on a report menu
> item, have the options displayed at that point in time and for me to verify
> the options and click OK to run the report at that point in time.  It also
> means that I wouldn't have to wait for the report to finish it's initial
> run and then change the options to what I actually need :-) Newbies would
> also benefit by actually seeing upfront what options are available.  As you
> can probably tell I don't run a lot of reports - I just use Gnucash for my
> personal accounts and to track income/spending from a rental property.
>
> Cheers David H.

Thinking back to when I was a new, it wasn't obvious that the Options
menu entry was there on the report.  The report ran and either was what
I wanted or wasn't with little clue how to change it.

If the options pop up first thing, then it would be obvious that there
is a whole lot that could be configured on each report.  Someday I may
get around to entering that as an enhancement.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com