[GNC] How to install Gnucash 3.8 on Debian 10 "buster"?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sun Mar 8 13:21:48 EDT 2020

You were also offered the option of installing the Flatpak. (with links)

Another option is that one user has kindly packaged it as a .deb and linked it here on the list, but you’ll have to do a list search for it. I think it was packaged for Ubuntu (based on testing) so it might not install on debian stable.

I’m not sure what level of stability you need for your system, but Ubuntu (as noted) and several other derivatives are based on debian testing repos. (or based on Ubuntu) While nothing is bug free (not even debian stable), they don’t fall apart either.

You might well encounter this issue with other software. I’d recommend reading up on exactly what Testing, Unstable and Stable mean with regards to debian. It isn’t as scary as you think.

Besides, you *are* asking how to install a package that is in the *testing* repo to begin with. And that is because they have a pretty strict date cut-off policy and they don’t fancy backports. Which means the Testing repo is full of packages like GnuCash 3.8 that run just fine, but simply missed the cut-off date for inclusion in debian 10. (but they will be part of debian 11)

Regards,
Adrien