[GNC] Transfers to subaccounts, hide the transaction?

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Sun Mar 8 18:24:52 EDT 2020

On 3/8/20 3:07 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> This is a bit complicated, of course!
>
> I have a main checking account with a number of subaccounts.  So far so
> good as it is a concept that is working well.  After a couple of months
> of this I can see some things becoming unwieldy, particularly when
> reconciling as I have numerous "transfer" transactions that will never
> be reconciled.  In a nutshell, what I have is this.
>
> Deposit entry, all or part of which should be assigned to a designated
> subaccount.  This, of course shows as coming from an Income account and
> then into the checking account.
>
> Transfer entry, whatever amount needs to be assigned to the subaccount
> is deducted from the main checking account and applied to the
> subaccount.
>
> The transfer entries would be nice to hide or eliminate.  I tried
> combining one into a deposit entry and that created a second deposit
> entry that mirrored the original but with differing amounts.  I
> scratched that idea rather quickly!
>
> If there is no other clean way to do this, I wish I could at least avoid
> having the Transfer transactions prior to the current reconciliation
> time frame showing in the reconciliation dialog.  I can see that by the
> end of the year or a few years down the road that this is going to be a
> huge mess!
>
> TIA
>
> - Nate

Do you know at the time of entering the deposit which sub-accounts and
amounts?  If so, I would be tempted to deposit directly to the
sub-accounts and then reconcile including all sub-accounts.

While entering I would click on the reconciliation column and change it
from an n to a c (just clicking will accomplish that).  That way they
are already check-marked when you do reconciliation.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com