[GNC] GNC Equity and Retained Earnings not tracking together?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Mar 10 12:50:17 EDT 2020

Just for the record,

That should be a reduction of cash *and* a reduction of ’Shareholder distribution’, not an increase. You aren’t increasing your liability by paying it down.

Dr. Liability:Shareholder Distribution
Cr. Cash

The liability is increased via a transaction with Retained Earnings.

Dr. Equity:Retained Earnings
Cr. Liability:Shareholder Distribution

Research Dividends transactions for corporate accounting. You’ll find the appropriate accounts needed and how to structure the transactions. (better yet, speak to a local CPA!) I think the general term for your ’Shareholder Distribution’ is ‘Dividends Payable’ or ‘Dividends Declared’ (which might be a separate account)

Some also simply make those distribution accounts as contra-equity accounts under Retained Earnings or Shareholder’s equity and don’t involve liability accounts at all. It depends on the nature of the payment.

You can have an actual Retained Earnings account along with not closing the books, but you may wish instead to close the books. Otherwise, you’ll have two Retained Earnings lines on your balance sheet (one as net-income, one as actual account) which will require you to export to spreadsheet, combine them, then print. An improvement to the current report would be to add the balance of the real account to the net-income calculation.

Regards,
Adrien