[GNC] Help with setting up a Savings account that acts as Mutual Fund.

Mike Sanders mikesanders0300 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 23:54:02 EDT 2020

Hi
I have been using your software off and on for a couple of years.  I
recently am trying to get my accounts in shape to payoff debts and such.

One of the accounts that I have is a savings account.  I deposit money into
the account weekly and the bank purchases shares in a bank managed mutual
fund.  The fund goes up and down and so too my investment based on the
value of those shares.

I currently in gnucash deposit into a savings transaction then adjust the
balance based on what the  bank says the fund is worth each week.  So I may
purchase 20 dollars worth of shares and my balance goes up or down based on
the total number of shares that I have in the fund.

Recently the fund has been loosing money,  not worried about it.  But I'd
like to be able to setup a phoney stock listing or something like that with
the prices of the fund shares.  So each week I purchase X number of shares
at the listed price as the bank shows in the statements.  Also quarterly
the bank pays a dividend interest amount and purchases x amount of shares
to be added to my total.

I have looked at the documentation for equities and stuff and can't get my
head around how to set it up.  Any fees that I may pay are not shown,  The
bank manages the fund.  It is a savings vehicle called a Tax Free Savings
account that the government in Canada controls the amount of investment
that someone can save each year.  Any interest or returns on investment are
not taxed but are tracked by the government.  Such is the world we live in.

Any suggestions or direction on how to do this would be most helpful.   If
there is no easy way to do it.  That's okay, my simple method does track
the account balance just not why it goes up and down.

Thanks Mike Sanders.