[GNC] Help with setting up a Savings account that acts as Mutual Fund.

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Mar 11 17:21:46 EDT 2020

Someone already tracking this in Canada could probably help more, but here’s my take on it:

1. is every dollar put into the account invested?
2. and is the same fund purchased or can that change?
3. and can there be a mix of funds in the account?

If the answer to #1 is ‘yes’ maybe just setting this up directly as a mutual fund investment rather than a savings account is the simpler approach. Treat withdrawals like you would cash withdrawals from a brokerage account. The Guide explains how to set up a fund and should include how to handle fees.

If ’no’ then I’d set up the separate fund, and make transactions to purchase shares in it from the savings account when the fund does.

Having a separate investment account would also facilitate tracking if the answers to either 2 or 3 are ‘yes’.

Another alternative is to ignore the fund and just make adjustments to the savings account as they appear on periodic statements or online if they are posted to your account. (but that would not allow you to retrieve pricing and see a ‘at this moment’ value of the investment/savings)

Of course, there might be tax implications (if simply for reporting) for how you keep track of all of this, so keep that in mind and get official advice where necessary.

Regards,
Adrien