[GNC] General Ledger with Gnucash

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 00:50:41 EDT 2020

> On 11 Mar 2020, at 20:03, Adrian Yong <ihngeoconsult at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> I have reading a lot of posts on this issue...
>
> I have been using QuickBooks for quite a while.
>
> I would like to generate a GL like i do in QB..
>
> The GL should contain all the parent and children accounts...
>
> In fact, if I got the terminology correct, QB lists only the children accounts but groups then in the order of Assets, Liabilities, and Equity...
>
> How do I do that in Gnucash ?
>
> Regards,
> Adrian

Hi, Adrian, and welcome to the Gnucash community.

My first suggestion is that you should always post queries to gnucash-user at gnucash.org - you’re more likely to get a quick solution than if you choose one contributor.

I have had no experience with QuickBooks.

If what you want is to create a General Journal which mimics the pen-and-ink version and lists all transactions you’ve (with optional restrictions) then you should go for Tools => General Journal.

Note that (by default) this reports only on the last 30 days, but you can adjust this by right-clicking on any of the transactions and choosing “Filter By”.

You can also sort the entries so that they appear in Date-of-Entry order (which most closely mimics the pen-and-ink version).

You could also create a Transaction report (Reports => Transaction Report) and then click on “Edit Report Options” to get a very comprehensive set of options, which you will need to experiment with to get what you want.

Best of luck,

Michael