[GNC] General Ledger

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Wed Mar 18 09:33:41 EDT 2020

On 3/18/2020 1:59 AM, Adrian Yong wrote:
> Thank you very much for your assistance.
>
> I submit the following to the auditors:
>
> 1) P&L
> 2) Balance Sheet
> 3) Journal
> 4) General Ledger
> 5) Funds(Cash) Flow Statement
> 6) Trial Balance
>
> That's because they don't use QuickBooks...
>
> Regards,
> Adrian

All of these are standard reports, just as they were in the old pen and
ink on paper days.

Is your question how to produce each of these when using gnucash? Keep
in mind that in some of these cases, terminology/names may be part of
the issue. Thus "general ledger" can refer to both the ledger* itself
and a report of it. At least part of the problem is the names used by
gnucash.

Michael D Novack

* The "general" in the name is because of "cash book accounting", a
shortcut method from the old days where the :cash" account was handled
differently from the rest << since 90+% of transactions affected cash,
those were not journalized but entered into the special "cash" ledger
and posted from there --- actually similar to what we do in gnucash for
all accounts --- think "virtual journal" bookkeeping >>

In traditional pen and ink on paper all transactions initially entered
into the "journal" and then POSTED from there to the ledger. Errors
while posting were frequent, finding them "fun". You can think of
gnucash as backwards auto-posting. You enter directly into the ledger
BUT gnucash can show you the corresponding "journal" if you ask it to.