[GNC] Reordering splits in a transaction

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Sat May 16 14:56:32 EDT 2020

Peter:

I have seen the same thing, about splits spontaneously re-ordering
themselves. I do not recall documentation about this, and I have not
read the code, but I have the impression that: a) GnuCash does impose an
order on splits, and b) the order is something like: splits with credit
(left-column) amounts before debit (right-column) amounts, then in order
of full account name.

I do believe that the order of splits within a transaction has no
bookkeeping significance. It doesn't affect how the basic accounting
relationship of assets, liabilities, and equity is preserved. It doesn't
affect the content of reports. etc.

I hope this is clarifying, even if it isn't definitive.
        —Jim DeLaHunt, software engineer, Vancouver, Canada