[GNC] Reordering splits in a transaction

peterb peterb at gmail.com
Sat May 16 20:26:05 EDT 2020

> On 15 May 2020 at 9:03, peterb said:
> >
> * I have a recurring transaction with a very complicated split. At some *>
> * point, the splits in the recurring transaction seem to have organized *>
> * themselves in a confusing way - seemingly not related to the order in *>
> * which I entered them. *>
> >
> * Is there any way to reorder splits within a transaction short of "Type *
> >
> * everything over again from top to bottom?" Is the (seeming)
> self-ordering *>
> * of the splits themselves inevitable, and if so, is there some underlying
> *>
> * principle by which they are arranging themselves? *>
> >
> * -P * I also have a recurring SX with multiple splits and messy
> calculations (5
> parameters, 8 splits). The splits mostly show up in the same order
> (modulo debits-before-credits) but not always. It seems the sort order is
> nondeterminate. I don't regard it as important.

Understood. The reason it matters to me is that my recurring transaction is
_almost_ identical, but not exactly - several values tend to fluctuate by a
few pennies every month.  This means that I end up having to play
hunt-the-split, whereas if the order was preserved I could use that to
quickly zero in on the changed value.

But it sounds like this is just the way the cards have been dealt, so maybe
I'll file an enhancement request on the bug tracker and go on with my
life.  Thanks!