[GNC] is there a transaction limit on converting xml to mysql

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon May 25 10:41:21 EDT 2020

> On May 25, 2020, at 2:43 AM, Jeff <beastmaster126 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> With the help of another member of the GNC users group I was able to get MySQL (on Windoze 10) to work with book files that contain a couple of years worth of records and basically a default checkbook register setup.  I need to convert a set of books that contains 20+ years of transactions in the neighborhood of 100 accounts and goodness knows ow many transactions.
>
> But every time I try to save as a MySQL file the "save as MySql" errors out and locks up GNC  after about 15 minutes (have to kill it with task manager).  The message is encountered corrupt data, and I cannot find an error log anywhere.
>
> I tried exporting as a GNC CSV file and importing it into a MySQL file.  Same problem.  Also tried 5 year exports, same problem. (note could not get PostgreSQL to work either).
>
> Is there a maximum number of transactions that GNC will convert to MySQL?  Or is there a setting somewhere I am missing?
>
> Once I can get MySQL on Windoze working I will need to get it working on a network with Windoze and Ubuntu but that is a question for later.
>
> Using: Version: 3.8 Build ID: 3.8b+(2019-12-29) Finance::Quote: - on Windoze 10 Pro and Windoze 10.  Also the last stable release of Ubuntu (sorry don't remember the version, 18.04lts I think).

There's no limit programmed in, though it's possible that there might be a memory leak. However if I understand correctly that it crashed importing CSV data without GnuCash in the middle it would seem to be a problem either with the data or with your MySQL installation.

We're not able to provide support for database servers, it's way beyond our competence. Administering a database server is harder than it looks so we have a simple rule: In order to use one with GnuCash you must be a competent database admin for the server you choose or must have one working for you. Anything short of that puts your data at risk.

Regards,
John Ralls