[GNC] Payroll Report

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun May 31 07:54:06 EDT 2020

On Sun, 3 May 2020 11:07:40 -0400
Michael or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at comcast.net> wrote:

> THAT is the key matter. Is the DATA for a report in the format shown
> available from gnucash.
>
> It would be possible for us programmer types to create a report from
> within gnucash to do this. But as I have pointed out many times, when
> I began with gnucash was advised "don't bother". Just export the DATA
> out of gnucash and use a favorite full power editor to create the
> pretty printed finished report as requested.
>
> The reason is that there will always be another special report
> wanted*. No end to the possibilities, which is why I was advised not
> to bother trying.
>
> Michael D Novack
>
> * Mind, in my working days, creating special reports wanted by a
> client was one of my specialties. This is not quite the same
> situation. There it was saving client time doing REPEATED work for
> the SAME report wanted over and over. The problem here is that would
> NOT be the same finished report. You have shown us how YOUR
> accountant wants it formatted (the final pretty printed report) .
> That won't be the same format somebody else's accountant wants it.

Michael, I've read this advice from you many times, and tonight it just
clicked for me!

A government department wanted a balance sheet with the address of a
property on it. I'm thinking "I'll need to get the accountants help
here" and then I realised I needed to make the balance sheet, export
it, edit it and then print what I needed to pdf.

Thanks again for that advice, which you have been repeating for years!

Liz