[GNC] Apparent Miscalculation

Eric Coates TwistedWood at talktalk.net
Sat Nov 14 11:28:54 EST 2020

Hi

I appear to have found a significant miscalculation in GnuCash - no
disrespect or criticism intended.

The "base currency" I use in my accounts is GBP (£) but I have some
sub-accounts that are denominated in Euros (€).

I attach a screen shot of part of my chart of accounts (the two columns
of numbers are headed "Present(GBP)" and "Total"). The sub-sub-account
"Eric ISA (ii) Shares-Euro" is a placeholder of currency Euro within a
parent sub-account in currency GBP, itself under Assets also in GBP.

The pertinent line is the first one of the screen shot; the Total is
shown as €14805.44 (which is a correct calculation based on the numbers
of shares and their values) but this number appears to be converted to
£15824.56. This is obviously wrong as the exchange rate is €1 = £0.8966.
Also the conversions of the individual shares to GBPs are also in error
- but, interestingly, the implied Euro/GBP exchange rates are different
(1.19 for Airbus, 0.76 for Deutsche Post and 0.95 for SAP).

(The share prices and the exchange rate were all obtained through the
"Get Quotes" feature and were confirmed by web searches.)

If this were a general problem I'm sure it would have caused quite a
flurry of messages so I can only assume that, somehow, I've screwed up
somewhere (not unusual!) but I can't find where it is.

If any one can point me to my error I'd appreciate it.

For completeness I'm running GnuCash 3.8 with Finance::Quote 1.49 on
Ubuntu 20.04 (Frankly, I can't see that having any bearing on this
problem. But what do I know?)

Take care, keep well

Eric