[GNC] List Replies

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Nov 17 13:59:01 EST 2020

At Tue, 17 Nov 2020 12:26:58 -0600 adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net wrote:

> Yeah, perhaps I'm not understanding something, but if the list server is
> configured with the list address in the reply-to header, but *does not*
> hide the individual's personal address (as described by Greg) how hard
> is it for someone to copy and paste that address in a new compose window
> in the 'to' field? And to make it even easier, most mail apps have a
> feature that if you select *any* e-mail address, you can get a context
> menu to send a new message to that address!

The whole copy and paste from the comment part of the from header is something
of a "pain in the ass" for many people.  It is *far easier* to click the
"Reply[ to Sender]" vs. "Reply to All" buttons virtually all E-Mail clients
provide.  Then the E-Mail client sets up the To: and Cc: headers properly and
without error -- the copy and paste is prone to [human] errors.

> So the default behavior would be reply-to-list, and if the *OFF* chance
> you *might* want to privately reply, you can still do so. (note, private
> replies to this list are discouraged, so why make it the default?!)
>
> That way you don't have to rely on people understanding 'reply-all' or
> 'reply-list' explicitly, and you can still reply privately *very easily*
> if you want to.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> On 11/16/20 8:08 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
> > At Mon, 16 Nov 2020 05:33:31 -0800 Greg Feneis <mfeneis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> That seems like an unnecessary dichotomy.  Perhaps it's a limitation of
> >> mailman, or our ability to administer?  On the other list I belong to that
> >> server causes either reply type to default to only the list server without
> >> obscuring the originator's address.
> >
> > Those lists are almost impossible to make *private* replies, without being a
> > near computer-Guru.
> >
> > Note I manage a list populated by people who are mostly non-techies, which is
> > a "standard" Mailman list and is set up much like this list and these
> > non-techies have no problem replying to the list and making private replies as
> > appropriate.  *It Is Not Rocket Science.*

Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364