[GNC] List Replies

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Nov 18 04:38:00 EST 2020

Op dinsdag 17 november 2020 19:26:58 CET schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> Yeah, perhaps I'm not understanding something, but if the list server is
> configured with the list address in the reply-to header, but *does not*
> hide the individual's personal address (as described by Greg) how hard
> is it for someone to copy and paste that address in a new compose window
> in the 'to' field? And to make it even easier, most mail apps have a
> feature that if you select *any* e-mail address, you can get a context
> menu to send a new message to that address!
>
> So the default behavior would be reply-to-list, and if the *OFF* chance
> you *might* want to privately reply, you can still do so. (note, private
> replies to this list are discouraged, so why make it the default?!)

You make a very good point here. I agree the list configuration should reflect our default
behaviour. And given all mail clients I have seen make it easy to send a mail or reply to any
visible header e-mail address (To, CC, From,...), the uncommon case of a private request is still
readily available, but it does take explicit action. Making the desired behaviour default is
actually good user experience.

For the record these are the mail clients I have looked at:
- Kmail: provides direct reply to  or new message to any visible address.
- Thunderbird: provides new message to any visible address
- GMail: provides new message to any visible address, though it does take an extra click
- K9-Mail (mobile): provides direct sending new mail to "from" address rather than reply-to
address. Other visible addresses can't be targeted directly.

I'm extrapolating from this that any decent mail client has effectively a way to directly send a
message to the address that appears in the from field instead of using the hidden reply-to.

So to me the original argument that it would be much harder to send a private reply doesn't
hold.

In fact as one on the other side of regularly receiving unwarranted private replies on my list
posts, I actually prefer to make that process a bit harder (while still not difficult at all).

Regards,

Geert