[GNC] List Replies

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Nov 18 06:49:23 EST 2020

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 10:50:07AM +0100, Geert Janssens wrote:
> Op dinsdag 17 november 2020 20:45:12 CET schreef Frank H. Ellenberger:
> > Am 17.11.20 um 19:26 schrieb Adrien Monteleone:
> > > (note, private replies to this list are discouraged, so why make it the
> > > default?!)
> >
> > and we will end with public visible logs of online banking sessions. :-(
> >

> Keep in mind that sending private information is the exception, so it's something that has to
> be done much less frequently.
> I would hope someone who cares about the privacy of that information would be careful
> enough when sending it. Again it's not rocket science. It's about doing it differently in the
> corner case.

Remember that E-Mail most definitely *isn't* private or secure.

The old idea that E-Mail should be treated like a postcard still
applies in the main.  E-Mail is, by default, transported across the
internet unencrypted and may get stored, in clear, on several servers
during its journey.

You may have an encrypted connection when you collect your E-Mail from
your ISP (or gmail, or wherever) but that's just one hop of many and
there is absolutely no guarantee that any of the other hops are also
encrypted.

Treat it like a postcard, unless you actually encrypt the message
itself.

--
Chris Green