[GNC] Significance of missing Bank routing fraction # on new check order

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 16:44:27 EST 2020

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 11:48 AM Bart Schroeder <bart at westshirerealty.com>
wrote:

> Beginning to use computer checks for the first time.  Received first order
> from vendor without Bank routing fraction #.  Worried that checks printed
> without such info will be rejected.
>
> How critical is this info on my checks?  Will they, most likely, get
> processed any way?
>
> Is there a workaround I can use to print that info (using “Custom
> format”?) each time I originate a check?

I recommend you take the check stock to your bank and ask them before
trying to use it.

I assume you are in the US, where I believe the fractional routing number
is no longer required or used, so new checks have not had it for a number
of years. Assuming the full routing number (sometimes called RTN or ABA) is
correct and appears in the correct position on the lower edge of the check,
I suspect your bank will accept it. But they will tell you what they will
accept.

If your bank turns out to be especially picky about the positioning of the
ABA / RTN they will have a template you can share with the printer to get
them reprinted properly.

Once you're ready to actually print checks, I recommend test printing onto
plain paper and holding that printed page together with your check stock
and looking through it with a strong light to see if you got the print
format positioned as expected. You may also have to do some test prints to
figure out the "tumble" on your printer so you know for certain how to
position the blank check stock so its orientation is correct.

It has been at least ten years since I printed any checks onto check stock
so I can't personally speak to any recent issues.