[GNC] How to treat accommodation security deposit

Edward Bainton bainton.ete at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 06:26:35 EST 2020

If no need for anything official, this is probably moot, but

I would guess it depends on your jurisdiction. In the UK I understand the
security deposit to be a contingent asset: it's not your property, although
it's in your possession and you may become entitled to it at some future
date. (This also is more or less moot, because it's now mandatory in the UK
to place the deposit with a licensed deposit holder - but that doesn't
change the underlying legal basis afaik.)

It probably ought to be kept segregated from your other funds therefore, as
it's property held on trust.

This may affect the accounting treatment? I'd be interested to know - but
only out of interest: it doesn't affect me personally.