[GNC] Split Transactions

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 18:18:13 EDT 2020

Normanj,
What you are seeing is a normal artifact of GnuCash that appears when there
is more than one split line for the account in which you are viewing the
transaction.  If you 'jump' to another account in the transaction, you will
see as many transactions as there are split lines for that account.
Usually you will only enter a single net amount on the asset side for the
sum of the incomes, then there would only be one transaction in the asset
register view.

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 4:41 PM normanj <njessup42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using Gnucash for a few years, but I'm far from being an expert
> user.
>
> One of my accounts is for a savings account which pays a monthly interest
> and, subject to some conditions, a "bonus" interest payment.  The bank used
> to report these as a single monthly payment so entering these into Gnucash
> was a straightforward transaction - a assets account for the balance and an
> income account for the interest.
>
> The bank has started reporting the base and bonus interest payments
> separately, and my first thought was to use a split transaction - two
> payments for the interest and two corresponding entries into the asset
> account.  However, when I save the transaction it is shown as two split
> transactions, each showing the same 4 numbers for both the regular and
> "bonus" interest, though the asset account balance is correct.  Any change
> make to one transaction, including deletion, is immediately reflected in
> the
> other transaction.
>
> To my inexpert eye this seems quite odd.  The only way I can see to fix
> this
> is to delete the impacted transactions and re-enter the "ordinary" and
> "bonus" payments separately, though as they are directly linked there is an
> obvious benefit in having everything in one transaction.
>
> Can anyone kindly advise if this is normal behaviour and is there a better
> way to do this?  If it makes a difference I use a mac and upgraded to
> Gnucash 3.6 earlier in year (as it happens, about the same time the bank
> chnged its reporting format)
>
> Thank you.  Despite this hiccup, I've found Gnucash to be an excellent
> tool.
>

> --

David Carlson